“If you log on and confirm your location in Iowa” isn’t quite as catchy as “if you build it, he will come,” but it’s lottery time for Iowans who want to go to the 2022 Field of Dreams game this year.
Let’s get right to the important details at the top.
- The Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds are this year’s matchup on Aug. 11. The Reds are the home team.
- Time is running out to register for the ticket lottery. Iowans have until 11 a.m. (Iowa time) Thursday, June 9, to add their names to the mix.
Let’s register for 2022 Field of Dreams tickets together
We’re happy to spare you the Google search, Iowans. This is the page to begin your registration process. That takes you to a ticket information page that includes the registration timeline and a seating chart for Dyersville’s cornfield colosseum.
It tells you:
- The random drawing will take place “on or about” Tuesday, June 14, which is also Flag Day.
- Selected registrants — the ticket lottery winners — will be notified the next day, Wednesday, June 15. Remember, you are not winning tickets. You are winning the option to buy tickets.
- Successful registrants can likely then start buying 2022 Field of Dreams tickets the following day, “on or about” Thursday, June 16.
There’s a blue “register now” button for the next step. Let’s dig into it, Cubs and Reds fans in Iowa.
Here we go. Fingers crossed!
The “register now” button takes Iowans to a fairly routine form to fill out.
- Name and Iowa address
- Date of birth
- Mobile phone number
- email address
- Are you a robot? No, you are not a robot, so check that box.
There are additional boxes if you’d like to be cyber-pen pals for MLB offers. PlayIA headquarters can do without the marketing emails and six MLB teams are still blacked out in Iowa. So, no, we’re not checking those boxes. They don’t appear to be a requirement for ticket registration.
That’s it — you are registered for the 2022 Field of Dreams ticket lottery
It should tell you that piece of good news in a big font at the top of the page. Below, it reminds you to make sure your spam filter doesn’t knock down MLB emails.
Then MLB’s legal department has its say. Key takeaways:
- You’re actually buying a ticket strip, which is two seats to the game and a parking pass.
- Winning Iowans don’t have to buy the tickets just because they are a “successful registrant.” MLB will give you a deadline in the “you’re a winner” email. The ticket purchase opportunity will go back in the mix if you’re too late.
- You can’t transfer your random-lottery good fortune to a buddy either. (That means you have to buy the tickets as the selected registrant. You can work out who actually goes to the game later.)
About the Field of Dreams location
Major League Baseball constructed an 8,000-seat ballpark adjacent to the movie set, so tickets will be in high demand. That Field of Dreams movie site is about 70 miles east of Waterloo or about 25 miles west of Dubuque near Dyersville, IA.
Field of Dreams is a tourist site with hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. year-round.
The hosts don’t charge visitors to walk around the field, but they appreciate donations to offset operating costs. Field of Dreams offers a concession stand, souvenir shop and tours of the “Kinsella home” as well. Visitors can even rent the three-bedroom farmhouse for overnight stays.
Most Iowans had to watch the 2021 game from home and they weren’t alone.
About 6 million people tuned in for the Chicago White Sox vs. the New York Yankees, according to MLB. The game broadcast took home a 2022 Sports Emmy for “Outstanding Live Special.”
The 2022 first pitch is once again scheduled for 6:15 p.m. If this year’s game repeats last year’s schedule, here’s what to expect:
- 2 p.m. — Parking gates open
- 3 p.m. — Ballpark gates open
- 6:15 p.m. — First pitch on Fox
Chicago Cubs vs. Cincinnati Reds odds
Last year’s Field of Dreams participants — the Yankees and White Sox — both reached the postseason.
This year’s teams … have a lot of work to do. The Cubs (23-32 as of Monday) and Reds (18-35) both might be sellers by the Aug. 2 trade deadline. That may cause the Dyersville game to lose a little luster in late summer.
The 2022 Field of Dreams ticket lottery isn’t the only way to get a win, either. FanDuel Sportsbook IA has a first-time offer with baseball in mind.