BetMGM Iowa Bonus Code PLAYIA for $1,500
Sign up with BetMGM Sportsbook Iowa and receive an exclusive welcome bonus worth up to $1,500. BetMGM Iowa refunds your first bet in bonus bets if it loses for up to $1,500. The BetMGM Iowa bonus code is PLAYIA.
BetMGM Sportsbook has brought its top-of-the-line sportsbook to Iowa. The sportsbook is operated by MGM Resorts International, one of the largest gambling companies in the world.
On top of learning about the BetMGM welcome bonus worth up to $1,500 you’ll also learn how the BetMGM Sportsbook app works, how to deposit and withdraw money, place bets, and much more.
BetMGM Bonus Code for Iowa in 2023
The BetMGM Iowa bonus code is PLAYIA. You’ll receive a welcome offer worth up to $1,500 in BetMGM Iowa bonus bets when you use it.
BetMGM Iowa bonus code & welcome bonus details in December
|BetMGM Iowa Bonus Code||PLAYIA|
|Welcome Bonus||Up to $1,500 back in bonus bets if your first bet loses|
|Online Since||January 2021|
|Last Update||December 3, 2023|
Terms and conditions apply to all offers. Please see BetMGM Sportsbook for details. 21+ Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER+
How to get your BetMGM welcome bonus in December 2023
When you create your BetMGM Iowa online sportsbook account, all you need to do is enter the BetMGM Iowa code PLAYIA in the appropriate field. Then when you make your first deposit, your first bet will be refunded (if it loses), for up to $1,500 (in bonus bets).
BetMGM Iowa bonus bets must be wagered (they can’t be withdrawn). And you’ll have seven days to use them before they expire.
BetMGM Iowa Sportsbook promotions
For those of you who expect great promotions from online sportsbooks, BetMGM does not disappoint. It starts with its $1,500 first bet offer for new users and then continues from there. Let’s examine a few of the BetMGM promos.
BetMGM makes parlays a little more exciting with its Multi-Sport Parlay Booster. Just opt in and all your four- to seven-leg parlays will increase by up to 40%. The only stipulation is that you can only boost one per day.
You’ll also find offers that refund your losing parlays for specific bets. Be mindful that just like with the $1,500 Iowa $1,500 welcome bonus, these refunds also come in the form of bonus bets.
Is BetMGM legal in Iowa?
Yes, BetMGM is a legal sportsbook operator in Iowa.
Sports betting became something that individual states outside of Nevada could legalize when the US Supreme Court overturned the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act in 2018.
In May 2019, Iowa passed Senate File 617, which paved the way for legal sports betting in the state for both retail and online sportsbooks.
While you can place a plethora of sports bets in the Hawkeye State, you cannot place prop bets on any individual college players.
How to create a BetMGM account in Iowa
To start placing sports bets at BetMGM, you will first need to create a BetMGM Sportsbook account in Iowa. The process should take only a few minutes, and you can complete it on your mobile device or desktop or laptop computer.
- Open the BetMGM Sportsbook app or go to the BetMGM website and click “Register.”
- Enter the email address you want to use with BetMGM and create a password.
- On the next screen, enter your name, date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number. This is necessary to help verify your identity.
And that is all you need to do in order to create a sportsbook account with BetMGM.
Sign up online in 2021
As of Jan. 1, 2021, you can sign up remotely for BetMGM as well as all other online sportsbooks in the state.
When sports betting was legalized in Iowa in 2019, the law required registration to be completed in person through the end of 2020. For most online sportsbooks, that meant going to that sportsbook’s retail location to complete the sign-up process. BetMGM’s online partner is Diamond Jo Casino in Dubuque.
But this requirement is no longer. You can complete the entire registration process, deposit and place your bets from the comfort of your home or anywhere else in Iowa.
BetMGM Sportsbook app
You can access BetMGM’s online sportsbook by using the BetMGM app or the BetMGM website. While both are nearly identical, the app allows you to have a sportsbook with you wherever you go in Iowa as long as you have a connection to the internet.
In this section, we are specifically discussing BetMGM’s app, but again, you can use the website the same way.
How to download the BetMGM app in Iowa
First up is downloading the BetMGM app to your iPhone/iPad or your Android tablet or phone. The easiest way to do so is by following our links to the sportsbook site and following the instructions to download either the iOS or Android app.
When you download the files to your mobile device, it may require your permission in order to proceed with the download. After the download is complete, your authorization may be necessary to install the app on your phone or tablet.
The entire process, from following our links to downloading and installing the app, should take no more than a few minutes.
Navigating the BetMGM app
When you open the BetMGM app, you can log in or register by selecting the appropriate buttons at the top of the screen. If you need help registering, check out our previous section where we detail how to do so.
The app works vertically and horizontally. The only difference is that popular upcoming events are listed on the left side in the horizontal alignment and the middle of the screen in the vertical display.
Let’s look at some of the areas of the app that you should know:
- Homepage: Across the top of the page, you’ll see listings for popular sports and links to BetMGM’s parlay builder, search bar and promotions page. At the bottom of the page are links to BetMGM’s A-Z sports listings, your bet slip, your previously placed bets and another link to the sportsbook’s promos page. In the middle is where you’ll find the top offers and live, upcoming games available for betting.
- Bet Slip: BetMGM’s bet slip is similar to other online sportsbooks. You can make as many wager selections as you wish and you can comb through them in your slip. You can also turn your picks into parlays or round robins.
- Promotions Page: Here is where you’re able to see all the current promos, and where you will opt into the promotions you want. We always advise at least skimming the promotions to make sure you understand exactly how each one works.
- My Account: You can get to your account information by clicking the “My Account” icon in the upper-right corner of the homepage. Here, you can access your M Life Rewards, contact customer support, go to the BetMGM cashier, view your inbox or log out of your BetMGM account.
Best features of the BetMGM Sportsbook app
Let’s break down three of the best features of the BetMGM Sportsbook app:
- M Life Rewards: Getting rewarded for betting on sports is pretty great, but getting rewarded by being part of the MGM Resorts rewards program is probably about as good as you’re going to find at any Iowa sportsbook. The loyalty club also is extremely easy to understand. For every $100 in straight bets you make, you get a point, and for every $50 in parlays, you also get a point. Based on how many points you get, you receive various comps and rewards.
- Easy Parlay Builder: While collecting your winnings from successful parlays is a lot of fun, figuring out what parlays to make can sometimes be a chore. Thankfully, BetMGM has an easy parlay builder and prebuilt parlays to take all the hassle out of the ordeal. BetMGM partnered with BetGenius in 2020 to improve its system and make it even better for users.
- Lots of Promotions: The BetMGM Sportsbook app not only has a solid number of promos, but they’re quality offerings. From free contests that reward you with bonus bets (and aren’t impossible to win) to parlay boosters that can add serious money to your pocket. The promotions at BetMGM are among the best at any Iowa sportsbook.
How could BetMGM Sportsbook improve?
Now it’s time to take a look at some of the ways in which BetMGM could provide a better user experience going forward:
- Simplify its Promos: While we really enjoy the promos BetMGM Sportsbook offers, we’re not as big of fans of the process. First, you have to go to the BetMGM “Promotions” page, then click on the promo you want. That pops up a “Learn More” tab. You select that, which opens a new page where you must scroll down in order to click the opt-in button. Why can’t that appear on the first page? Or, even better, make all promotions good for all users whether they opt in or not.
- Change Default Bet Slip Settings: When we first got started using BetMGM’s app, we were confused when $50 always would appear by default when we placed bets. Turns out that was the default setting, as was not having to click twice in order to place a bet. We’d love to see the default setting be for the lowest dollar amount allowed and for it to be harder to place bets. The last thing we want to do is put $50 on the New York Jets to beat the Kansas City Chiefs by accident.
- More Customer Support Options: If we run into problems with an online sportsbook, there’s a decent chance it might be somewhat of an emergency. So, why can’t BetMGM add more options when it comes to reaching its customer service department? Being able to text our issue or a phone number to call would be nice.
Types of bets available on BetMGM Sportsbook app
Here are the various types of bets you can make at BetMGM Sportsbook Iowa:
- Moneyline: These are the simplest types of bets out there because all you’re doing is betting on which team will win. For example, the Milwaukee Bucks at -180 versus the Minnesota Timberwolves at +155. It means the Bucks are favored, and a $180 bet on them would win you $100 in profit. The T-wolves are the underdogs, and a $100 bet on them would win $155.
- Spreads: Here, you’re betting on what the margin of victory will be, and in order to win, your pick needs to cover the spread. For instance, let’s look at the Chicago Cubs at -1.5 versus the St. Louis Cardinals at +1.5. This line means the Cubs are favored, and for a bet on them to win, Chicago needs to win by at least two runs. As the underdogs, the Cardinals need to win the game outright or lose by only one run, and your bet would be a winner.
- Totals: Instead of picking a side when you bet the total, you’re wagering on how many points/runs/goals will be scored in a game. Totals also are known as over/unders. In a fictional example, the over/under is set at 7.5 for the Minnesota Wild versus the St. Louis Blues. All you are betting on is whether the combined goals scored by both teams will be higher or lower than 7.5. If the game ends at 3-2, making the total five, then bets on the under win.
- Props: Short for proposition bets, these wagers have nothing to do with a game’s outcome. Prop bets can be on teams or players. Some examples include, Will Giannis Antetokounmpo have a triple-double or will Patrick Mahomes throw for three or more touchdown passes?
- Parlays: These are bets in which you are making multiple wagers and combining them into one bet. The payouts can be high, but most of the time, so are the odds of getting all of your picks right. To win, you have to get every selection correct. For example, you make a parlay on the Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers to win their games one week. For your bet to win, the Vikings, Bears and Packers all must win.
- Teasers: These wagers are a combination of spreads and parlays where you are able to change the lines for all the games you are betting. Teasers normally are available for football and basketball bets. For instance, you bet on the Vikings (+3.5), Bears (+6.5) and Packers (-10.5) to all cover the spread, but you apply a six-point teaser to your bet. That means the updated odds will be Vikings (+9.5), Bears (+12.5) and Packers (-4.5).
- Round Robins: Round robins are multiple bets arranged in as many two-team parlay combinations as possible. So losing one of your bets doesn’t sink the entire slate. So, if you wager on the Vikings, Bears and Packers, but in a three-pick round robin you’ll have three separate bets, one with the Vikings and Bears to win, one with the Vikings and Packers and one with the Bears and Vikings. So if the Bears lose, but the Vikings and Packers win, you still win one of your bets. And if they all win, you win all three.
- Futures: These are long-term wagers. Instead of betting on an individual game, you’re betting on what will happen over the course of a season. Futures are extremely popular before the start of season, but can be made at any time. For example, if you bet on the Kansas City Chiefs to win the Super Bowl or bet on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to win the NFL MVP award.
- Live Betting: These are bets that you make after the game has started. In live betting, odds can and do change all the time, and the changes can be dramatic. So, you could bet on the Chicago Bulls to come back and win their game despite trailing 30-18 after the first quarter. Or you could bet on whether Chicago White Sox first baseman José Abreu is going to get a hit in his next at-bat.
Sports you can bet on at BetMGM in Iowa
BetMGM offers the major sports leagues so that you can bet on MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL games. There’s also NASCAR, UFC, PGA Tour, men’s and women’s tennis and MLS. Across the pond, there’s international soccer leagues aplenty, including World Cup action.
Be sure to check BetMGM’s A-Z listing of sports, as there are even smaller sports, including table tennis and rugby.
Iowa sports team betting guide
While Iowa isn’t home to any Major League Baseball or the NFL, NBA or NHL teams, it still has four Division I college teams. On top of that, there are quite a few teams in neighboring states.
Collegiate sports include the Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa State Cyclones, Drake Bulldogs and Northern Iowa Panthers. At BetMGM, you should find almost all Iowa and Iowa State games available to bet on, while some Drake and Northern Iowa contests might not have lines based on the level of play of those schools’ opponents.
Let’s look at the pro teams in neighboring states:
- MLB: There are six teams, including the Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, the Minnesota Twins, St. Louis Cardinals, Milwaukee Brewers and Kansas City Royals. The Royals, Twins and White Sox all play in the American League, while the Cubs, Brewers and Cardinals are in the National League.
- NBA: There are the Minnesota Timberwolves, Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks. Both the Bulls and Bucks reside in the NBA’s Eastern Conference, while the T-wolves are in the Western Conference.
- NHL: Another three teams are in the NHL, with the Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild are in the Western Conference.
- NFL: Many Iowans roots for the Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings. The Chiefs are the lone team in the AFC, while the other three play in the NFC.
BetMGM Iowa futures market
Futures markets tend to vary from sportsbook to sportsbook, so here’s an overview of what BetMGM’s futures tend to look like:
- College Football: BetMGM has futures for the eventual NCAA football national champion. This means the only two local teams you will see odds on will be Iowa and Iowa State.
- College Basketball: Much like football, you will only see futures markets for the NCAA men’s basketball national champion at BetMGM. However, locally, this means you can wager on Iowa, Iowa State, Drake and Northern Iowa.
- MLB: Shortly after the completion of the 2020 MLB season, BetMGM Sportsbook only had futures markets available for picking the next season’s champion. However, there’s no reason not to expect them to have odds for pennant and division winners at a minimum as the 2021 MLB season draws nearer.
- NBA: BetMGM has futures for which team will win the NBA title and for which teams will represent their conference in the NBA Finals. On the player side of things, you can bet on who will win the regular season MVP, and around NBA draft time you can wager on who will be the No. 1 overall pick.
- NHL: At BetMGM, you can expect to find odds for the team that will win the Stanley Cup and for which team will come out of the Western and Eastern conferences each season. Whether BetMGM adds a market for which player will win the Hart Memorial Trophy remains to be seen.
- NFL: BetMGM has some of the more distinctive offerings when it comes to NFL futures. Not only can you bet on who will win the Super Bowl, but you can bet which conference will win it. On top of that, you can bet on which division will provide the eventual Super Bowl champ. And there are markets for which team will win the AFC and NFC as well as from which conference division. BetMGM also has futures for who will win the regular season MVP, Defensive Player of the Year and Offensive Rookie of the Year. You also can bet on who will lead the league in passing, rushing and receiving yards.
How to deposit and cash out on the BetMGM Iowa app
BetMGM offers a plethora of ways to deposit money into your account:
- BetMGM Play+ prepaid card
- Debit card
- PayNearMe location
- Online banking transfer, instant bank transfer or bank wire transfer
If you want to withdraw money from your BetMGM account in Iowa, you have four options:
- BetMGM Play+
- Online banking transfer
How to contact BetMGM customer support
Regrettably, BetMGM doesn’t have a lot of options to reach its customer support staff.
Sometimes you can start a live chat on the customer service page. Some report to say it’s not uncommon to read “due to an overwhelming amount of chats, you can email instead.”
Truth be told, we haven’t run into any issues with BetMGM’s customer service, so we’re hopeful it’s a matter of not having enough staff as opposed to an abundant amount of customers experiencing problems.
Responsible gambling at BetMGM
You will find a page on the BetMGM site devoted to responsible gambling. It provides phone numbers and websites to organizations you can contact for help if you or someone you know has a gambling problem. You can also set restrictions to limit the amount of time and money you spend on the BetMGM website or app.
BetMGM also allows users to self-exclude or ban themselves completely from BetMGM for three, five or 10 years, or forever.
Is BetMGM the best sportsbook in Iowa?
While BetMGM is not the best sportsbook in the Hawkeye State, it is at least one we consider legitimate contenders for the title. Other sportsbooks that we would put in the conversation would be DraftKings, PointsBet and FanDuel.
What helps set these sportsbooks apart is their commitment to offering great bonuses after new bettors sign up. They all offer high-quality apps that let you take advantage of the myriad sports wagers available.
BetMGM Sportsbook FAQ
When you use the BetMGM bonus code PLAYIA you receive a first bet offer worth up to $1,500. If your opening bet loses, you’ll receive a full refund (up to the limit) in BetMGM bonus bets. See full details in the BetMGM Iowa sign-up bonus section above.
Yes, not only can you bet on college sports at BetMGM, and you also can bet on Iowa-based college teams such as Iowa and Iowa State. You are not, however, allowed to place any prop bets on individual college athletes.
Yes, BetMGM Sportsbook allows for early cash out on select straight and parlay bets only. Early cash out at BetMGM is not available for any bets placed using bonus bets.
BetMGM has odds boosts practically everyday, however you are rarely able to use bonus bets for odds boosts and odds boosts cannot be used when creating parlay or round robin bets.
Yes, BetMGM received its sports gaming license from the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission (IRGC). You can reach out to the IRGC if you need to file a complaint in regard to any sportsbooks in Iowa. The IRGC can be reached by email ([email protected]) or phone (515-281-7352).
The minimum age to bet on sports in Iowa is 21 years of age. You also need to place your bets while you are physically in Iowa, so you must have geolocation services turned on, on your mobile device or computer to confirm you are in the state when making bets.