Typically, the first major championship of each calendar year, The Masters, will be the final highlight of a unique 2020 golf season. The best golfers in the world will gather at Augusta National this week to compete for the green jacket.
Which golfers should Iowa sports bettors be keeping an eye on this weekend?
How to watch the 2020 Masters Championship
- What: 2020 Masters Championship
- When: Thursday, Nov. 12-Sunday, Nov. 15
- Where: Augusta National in Augusta, GA
- TV: ESPN/CBS
- Thursday: 1-5:30 p.m. on ESPN
- Friday: 1-5:30 p.m. on ESPN
- Saturday: 1-5 p.m. on CBS
- Sunday: 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on CBS
- Livestream: CBSSports.com
- Satellite Radio: Sirius Channel 208; XM Channel 93
DeChambeau enters the week as the favorite
The field is highly competitive this week, which leaves a lot of top contenders in the eyes of the oddsmakers.
Dustin Johnson (+850 FB; +900 DK and FD) has the next shortest odds, while John Rahm, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlory are all unanimously among the top-five favorites. All three have odds of +1,400 or less, depending on the sportsbook.
Will the favorite power his way to the green jacket?
DeChambeau is having the best year of his career, and that is due to his new approach to golf.
The 27-year-old put on a lot of muscle over the last year, and is bringing previously unseen power off the tee. He has put up 400-yard drives and plans to attack Augusta with his force, despite it being a relatively tight golf course.
This year, DeChambeau was able to win the US Open, his first major championship. He has a total of two wins and 11 top-10 finishes over 18 events.
Augusta National hasn’t been the best to DeChambeau. He has yet to crack the top 20 in three appearances. However, he hadn’t cracked the top 10 in a major until this year. Along with his US Open win, DeChambeau finished fourth in the PGA Championship.
DraftKings Sportsbook is offering new Iowa bettors a single-use odds boosts to use on DeChambeau to make the cut. Deposit $5 and select the boost before placing your bet. This offer expires at tee off.
Can Woods dial up the magic again?
The 2019 Masters was one of the most memorable in history, as Tiger Woods ended his 11-year streak without a major. Woods won his fifth green jacket by two strokes.
Not much has gone well for Woods in 2020. He started with a ninth-place finish in the Farmers Insurance Open but hasn’t cracked the top 30 since then over seven tournaments.
For those reasons, oddsmakers don’t like Woods chances this week. DraftKings and Fox Bet has him at +4,500, while FanDuel has him at +4,700.
Despite his struggles this year, Woods has typically been consistent at Augusta. Along with his five wins, he has nine other top-10 finishes. With that in mind, perhaps a wager of Woods to finish in the top 10 (+350) should be more your speed.
Long shots worth considering
Golf is a sport where you can win big if you have the right picks. Even favorites have high payouts. This week, there are some long shots to keep an eye on:
- Matthew Wolff (+4,000 FD; +4,500; +4,000 FB) isn’t a major long shot, but obviously would be a big payout. Wolff is making his Masters debut this week, but he finished fourth in his first PGA Championship and second in his first US Open. He started the year 98th in the world rankings and has climbed to 13th. Trends have definitely been in his favor.
- Phil Mickelson (+7,000 FD; +12,500 DK; +11,000 FB) has been pretty strong at Augusta over his career. He is a three-time Masters champion and has 12 other top-10 finishes. A +750 wager on a top-10 finish is worth considering.
- Cameron Smith (+6,500 FD; +9,000 DK; +8,000 FB) is another long shot to watch. Smith has not missed a cut in three Masters appearances, including a top-five finish in 2018. Smith played well in recent months, finishing in the top 25 in six of his last seven tournaments.
Sunday, bettor, Sunday
Your first bet on Sunday is risk-free, up to $100, at DraftKings Sportsbook. So, whether you’re betting on The Masters or an NFL game or some other sport, you could potentially get $100 free. See the sportsbook for the terms and conditions.
If you’re in the neighborhood of Clinton, Jefferson or Emmetsburg, stop into a Wild Rose Casino to sign up for a legal sportsbook account and take advantage of this DraftKings promotion.