While soccer’s under-23 teams seek Olympic gold, the US men’s national team continues its bid for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
This year’s flagship tournament marks the 60th anniversary of CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football).
Mexico has eight Gold Cup titles and is favored to win the ninth cup in 2021. The United States has six championships, including the inaugural tournament in 1991. Canada claimed the 2000 title.
The 2021 tournament started with 16 teams in the group stages played July 10-20. The top two teams from four round-robin groups advanced to the quarterfinals.
Teams that didn’t qualify for the knock-out round were:
- Guatemala and Trinidad & Tobago in Group A
- Haiti and Martinique in Group B
- Suriname and Guadeloupe in Group C
- Panama and Grenada in Group D
World Cup hosting country Qatar is a guest nation at the Gold Cup.
Fifa’s most recent rankings came out May 27 and, once again, Europe (seven teams) and South America (three) dominate the top 10. Mexico is CONCACAF’s highest-ranked team at No. 11. The US is No. 20 and Jamaica is No. 45.
The lowest-ranked quarterfinalist is El Salvador at No. 69.
Gold Cup champion odds
|Gold Cup Champion||DraftKings Sportsbook||William Hill Sportsbook||BetMGM Sportsbook||BetRivers Sportsbook|
Of course, betting on the eventual champion is only one way to wager on the Gold Cup. You can bet on four head-to-head matchups this weekend at Iowa sportsbooks.
DraftKings has prop bets for wagers on the first goal scored, last goal scored and halftime totals.
The available wagers at BetMGM include bets on the number of goals scored and odds for picking the correct score.
You can bet at Betfred Sportsbook whether or not both teams will score in a Gold Cup matchup.
FS1 has much of the Gold Cup coverage.
Gold Cup schedule
Saturday, July 24, in Glendale, AZ
- 6:30 p.m. — Qatar vs. El Salvador (FS2)
- 9 p.m. — Mexico vs. Honduras (FS1)
Sunday, July 25, in Arlington, TX
- 6 p.m. — Costa Rica vs. Canada (FS1)
- 8:30 p.m. — United States vs. Jamaica (FS1)
Thursday, July 29, in Houston or Austin, TX
- 6:30 p.m. — Qatar or El Salvador vs. United States or Jamaica (FS1)
- 9 p.m. — Mexico or Honduras vs. Costa Rica or Canada (FS1)
Sunday, Aug. 1, in Las Vegas
- 7:30 p.m. — Gold Cup Final (FS1)
With three goals each, Cyle Larin of Canada and Romell Quioto of Honduras are the top scorers still playing at the 2021 Gold Cup.
Up next: World Cup qualifying
Team USA shifts its focus to World Cup qualifying once Gold Cup play wraps up in the Southwest.
- 32 teams qualify for the World Cup
- The US Men’s National Team’s bid begins Sept. 2 at El Salvador.
- The next World Cup has an unusual calendar due to Qatar’s hot climate. The tournament takes place Nov. 21 to Dec. 18, 2022.
The World Cup is more than a year away, but DraftKings, William Hill, Betfred and BetRivers all give Team USA +8000 moneyline odds to win the tournament. The line is +6600 at BetMGM.